And here is the last demo of World of Thieves, a 3D adventure/stealth game between “Zelda” and “Beyond Good and Evil“. Don’t hesitate to test/share/reblog/comment/like if you want to help me!
Under Linux, you have to change the execution rights on the game file:
chmod +x worldOfThieves.x86
If you use this 32-bit version of the game on a 64-bit operating system,
you may also have to install 32-bit libraries.
I was successful with the following commands:
sudo apt-get install ia-libs
yum install libstdc++.x86
… which doesn’t seem to be the exact same thing. But it did the trick for me.
By the way, I noticed the game is really slow on my Linux systems. It was only playable with the lowest quality settings possible. Maybe this is due to my graphic drivers, but I’ll have to test further. It even crashed at the beginning of the pirate warehouse level. Don’t hesitate to tell me if you experiment such problems.
- Mac OS
Haha… I didn’t test on Mac, because I don’t have a Mac. But the beauty of Unity is that I can release on Mac from a Windows system anyway.
So, if Mac users out there want to give it a try and tell me what’s wrong (or what’s right, hopefully 😉 ), you’re most welcome!
What’s new since the last demo?
It’s been 3 months since the last demo, so what’s new you may ask? Well, probably nothing that you will notice :(… Because the main story, quests and levels are almost identical. So what did I do? I worked a lot on more core/fundamental stuff. This is the injustice of working on the development side… Almost all the work is invisible:
- smoother camera moves
- better camera collisions
- lots of feedback added during fights: camera shake, blur, vignetting and chromatic abberations when a hit is taken
- visualisation of sound waves on impacts
- various post-processing effects: depth of field, bloom and screen space ambient occlusion
- speech bubbles for the pirates
- crouch position for the hero
- blocking skills for the hero and the enemies
- better collision tests for the climbing moves
- charge animation for the hero mega attack
- a few more items (not usable in the demo however): bomb, flute, cure fruit
- hud/gui improvement for contextual actions, hints and help
- 2 more collectable categories (not in the demo): ill animals that you’ll have to cure (only sheeps at the moment) and flowers
- control redesign for item use
- black stripes during dialogs/cutscenes
- fully open world with continuous dynamic background loading (you won’t notice in the demo)
- better path finding for enemies
- music management system with music depending on the location of the player and with smooth audio transition between zones
- a few more buildings on Tera Island and some funky sheeps
- re-recording of the intro music with better sound and rythm quality
- music for Tera Island
- shoot cool down for range weapons
- different target icons for each range weapon (not in the demo)
- game (and menus) playable with a joypad
- fog with dynamic color changing
- flag with physical simulation on the Thief Guild
- redesign of the day skybox
- better rendering of far away objects
- dynamic light variation of “thin” objects (grass, ropes, …)
- better answer selection in dialogs
What’s broken since the last demo?
You didn’t expect everything to be better did you? I’m aware of a few bugs/regressions:
- The inventory is a bit less functionnal: you have to use the keyboard to change the current page (missions/inventory/map) but the mouse to select items inside each page. And sometimes the current page changes when you click somewhere else.
- The new camera positionning algorithm is nicer, but less stable. It totally crashes the game in some very specific locations and I can’t spot why at the moment. I’m working on it…
- On Linux, the image is locally reversed on impacts… This makes a strange effect.
- ZQSD or WASD: move the character. It’s both AZERTY and QWERTY compatible
- Space: jump and climb
- Shift: crouch and block
- Mouse move: move the camera
- E: weapon selection menu(useless in this demo)
- Left click: main weapon (Bo) or contextual action
- Right click: secondary weapon
- Tab: inventory/map/missions
Have fun! Peace!