Here is a new demo of A Thief’s Melody, a 3D cartoon adventure/stealth game with a contemplative atmosphere, somewhere between “Zelda” and “Beyond Good and Evil”. Don’t hesitate to test/share/reblog/comment/like if you want to help me.
Beware: This is the alpha (=NOT FINAL) demo of May 2019. If you want to get the latest demo for sure, just check the official website.
Feedback & bug hunt: As usual, if you want to tell me what you think about the game, or if you find bugs, contact me at contact at oneiricworlds dot com
Under Linux, you have to change the execution rights on the game file:
chmod +x aThiefsMelody.*
- Mac OS
Haha… I didn’t test on Mac, because I don’t have a Mac. But the beauty of Unity is that I can release on Mac from a Windows/Linux system anyway.
So, if Mac users out there want to give it a try and tell me what’s wrong (or what’s right, hopefully 😉 ), you’re most welcome!
What’s new since the last demo?
You have to know the demo quests are more or less final at the moment. The next official demos (including this one) will only provide bug fixes and graphics/sound/music enhancement.
Since March 2019, lots of improvements have been done:
- New Sun Shaft post process
- Camera moves sidewards when aiming
- No more annoying character auto crouch near walls
- No more camera auto crouch, which generates smoother moves
- Better shading and look for bomb explosions
- Better smoke effects
- Graphical polish on the Pirate Warehouse (sand path shader, vegetation…)
- Graphical polish on Zephyr Island: windmills, houses, vegetation, better readability/composition, chimney smoke, new textures and assets (stones, bush and trees)
- New font for dialog and UI. Hopefully, it will be easier to read
- Various control fixes
- Many minor bug fixes
- New dev tool to better detect unclimbable walls
What’s broken ?
You didn’t expect everything to work perfectly, did you? I’m aware of a few bugs/regressions/problems:
- Controls are displayed in English, whatever language you choose.
- Spanish is not implemented yet (even if it is choosable in the options)
- Some assets still need work to be done or polished (Audio, Graphics, UI, Dialogs, …)
- Some areas are still a bit empty
- The game seems a bit dark on some devices, especially with high quality graphics that handle shadow casting. It might be some gamma issue, I’ll have to check this out.
- Under Linux, it seems the keyboard controls sometimes get “stuck” for a few seconds… I know it’s a crazy thing to say, but it might work better with a Xbox controller :p