After the Toulouse Game Show (more on that later), I had quite some feedback and bug reports so I corrected many things on the demo. So, after many fixes…
Here is a new demo of A Thief’s Melody, a 3D cartoon adventure/stealth game with a contemplative atmosphere, somewhere between “Zelda” and “Beyond Good and Evil”. Don’t hesitate to test/share/reblog/comment/like if you want to help me.
Beware: This is the alpha (=NOT FINAL) demo of December 2018. If you want to get the latest demo for sure, just check the official website.
Feedback & bug hunt: As usual, if you want to tell me what you think about the game, or if you find bugs, contact me at contact at oneiricworlds dot com
Under Linux, you have to change the execution rights on the game file:
chmod +x aThiefsMelody.*
- Mac OS
Haha… I didn’t test on Mac, because I don’t have a Mac. But the beauty of Unity is that I can release on Mac from a Windows/Linux system anyway.
So, if Mac users out there want to give it a try and tell me what’s wrong (or what’s right, hopefully 😉 ), you’re most welcome!
What’s new since the last demo?
You have to know the demo quests are more or less final at the moment. The next official demos (including this one) will only provide bug fixes and graphics/sound/music enhancement.
Since May 2018, lots of improvements have been done:
- Redesign of some objects (Link, Bo, …)
- Redesign of secondary characters (Lia, Tal, Clarisse, Archibald, Reno and more to come…)
- Redesign of the main character: now he has a little belt floating in the wind, he can look at interesting things when you pass near them, all animations have been recreated and there are a few new ones, among which a roll move after each jump, which really smoothes the gameplay. Some more will come, this work is not finished yet.
- Redesign of HUD targeting icons
- you can know center the map on the character
- Already spoken dialogs now appear on a different color (not sure if I’ll keep it or not…)
- All characters now have hand drawn avatars appearing during dialogs
- The Thief Guild and Pirate Warehouse levels have their own musical themes
- The main title is now animated
- The pirate warehouse has been massively re-designed
- I’ve removed the shield, its gameplay was very unbalanced and unintuitive. This makes fights more risky than before.
- A little tutorial has been added for handling Asclepios fruits
- Many little fixes here and there, dialog and descriptions fixed and improved, more details, … But I still have a lot of work on these!
What’s broken ?
You didn’t expect everything to work perfectly, did you? I’m aware of a few bugs/regressions/problems:
- Controls are displayed in English, whatever language you choose.
- Spanish is not implemented yet (even if it is choosable in the options)
- Some assets still need work to be done or polished (Audio, Graphics, UI, Dialogs, …)
- Some areas are still a bit empty
- The game seems a bit dark on some devices, especially with high quality graphics that handle shadow casting. It might be some gamma issue, I’ll have to check this out.
- Under Linux, it seems the keyboard controls sometimes get “stuck” for a few seconds… I know it’s a crazy thing to say, but it might work better with a Xbox controller :p